Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Justice for Phoenix?

In cautiously hopeful news: the twins who set Phoenix the pit bull on fire in May (excuse me, are accused of setting her on fire) are to be tried as adults. They're 17, so it's not much of a stretch. And they're looking at three years, which is not enough. I have no pity.

Oh, Phoenix. Sweet girl. You wagged your tail at your rescuers even as you suffered horrible burns over your entire body. You tried your hardest to live. Our city is so broken, and it's too late for you. But I look at your picture every day and thank whoever watches over us that you are finally at peace.

My father taught me that animals are God's gift to people. Maybe one day our culture will start treating all such gifts with the love and respect they deserve.

Photo of Phoenix courtesy of The Sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment