Monday, November 22, 2010

CSA Week 22: Fennelicious.

These last few CSA recaps are gonna be kind of weird, kids, because we did some random things with our produce. (Minds. Out of the gutter. Now!) So, here we go:


Our first fennel! What an odd vegetable. It took me a little Internetting to figure out what to do with it, but eventually I put the feathery little leaves in a baggie in the freezer (to flavor a soup or something later) and roasted the bulb with the broccoli and purple cauliflower. It was yummy! The cauliflower wasn’t nearly as purple once it was cooked, though, which was a disappointment.


Another pointy cabbage! Half of this one went into a tofu stir-fry. The other half…is still in the fridge. I know, I know. It’s still hanging in there, though. Cabbage seems pretty resilient.


By this time, we had so many goddamn sweet potatoes I couldn’t tell you when we’d accumulated all of them. I think they multiplied, like mogwai. Red baked three of them, one of which went into biscuits and the other two we ate straight up. After that, we still had six pounds of sweet potatoes left. I know, because I weighed them. Rather, I weighed myself, then hopped back on the scale holding the bag o’ tubers. I gave half to my parents and half to my friend Kelly, and sweetened the deal with Sparkled Ginger Cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance. If you have unwanted veggies you need to unload, I highly recommend making them part of a package deal with delicious baked goods.

I was tired of thinking about what to do with all our veggies, so the green peppers and spinach went into a skillet with some garlic, then into some pasta, then into my belly. That, darlings, is my fallback. I could probably live on pasta with sautéed vegetables.


Oh, and we got a butternut squash too. That’s still hanging out, waiting for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment