Sunday, October 3, 2010

CSA Weeks 15 & 16: Potatoes and bok choy (but not together!).

First of all, dear readers, lest I forget to show you what we did with Week 14’s green peppers:


These are Creole Stuffed Peppers from Veganomicon. They were delicious over quinoa, but also by themselves. We used fresh CSA thyme and oregano (I think we got oregano in Week 14’s share, but I forgot to mention it). One thing I don’t understand is why it’s necessary to blanch the peppers before stuffing and baking them. I know I’ve stuffed raw peppers and just shoved them in the oven, and haven’t noticed any difference. Lazy, I know.

Okay, onto Week 15:


The first thing we made was Vcon’s Fresh Dill-Basmati Rice with Chard and Chickpeas. I know, I know—we make it at least once a month, but it’s one of the easiest, yummiest dishes I know. So we made it again. I didn’t bother with a picture, because you should already be making it yourself on a regular basis.

More peppers and our first bok choy? (This was a baby bok choy, to boot.) Time for a stir fry! I admit, I was a little weirded out by the bok choy because I don’t like cabbage, but it didn’t taste like much and cooked up very nicely. Well played, bok choy. You can come back for dinner whenever you want.


The lettuce went into a few hummus wraps. The rest went into the compost. I know, I suck, but lettuce is basically crunchy water anyway.

I like spaghetti squash, but wasn’t sure how to make it more interesting (normally I’d just bake it and eat it). It was Vcon to the rescue again: Spaghetti Squash Mexicana with Tropical Avocado Salsa Fresca! Obviously that is the least autumnal dish you could imagine, but it was super-tasty. Red made it while I was at yoga, and despite his hesitation over chopping a mango, it was a total success.


We got some thyme and cherry tomatoes, so let me jump ahead to Week 16, when we got Italian parsley as well. Sounds like the makings of some serious pasta, right? Only the best pasta ever: Orechiette with Cherry Tomatoes and Kalamata Tapenade from Vegan with a Vengeance!


Obviously, that’s not orechiette, but whatever. I don’t even know what orechiette looks like. This is some of the most delicious pasta I’ve ever had. Every time I make it, I have to restrain myself from snarfing all of it at once. As it was, I had two bowls that evening.

Here’s the rest of Week 16:


We still had Week 15’s potatoes left, so we got them together with Week 16’s and made Sage and Onion Roast Potatoes. Do click over to that recipe, because I’ve been making it since I first went vegan and it never fails. Stick ‘em under the broiler for a few minutes at the end to get them nice and crispy. They are excellent breakfast potatoes—Red will tell you that ketchup is a worthy complement.


I wanted something else to do with the red chard (the holy trinity of chard, chickpeas, and rice two weeks in a row is overkill even for me), so I made a Vegan Brunch frittata. I showed you my first frittata here, and this one was possibly even better. I’m telling you, Twin Oaks tofu makes all the difference. We ate most of this for breakfast, and I can’t fathom going back to cereal. Good thing we’ve still got some roasted potatoes left!


We got another bok choy, an adult one this time. Stir fry again, with tofu and frozen Asian veggies from Costco:


Eggplant and I are not the best of friends. I don’t blame the eggplant; I seem to be limited in the ways I can prepare it to my liking, and none of those ways appealed to me. It sat and sat in the Crisper drawer until I gave up and pawned it off on my eggplant-loving mother, who has big plans for stew or moussaka or something. Loves her eggplant, she does.

More lettuce. Don’t ask.

More thyme. It’s in the freezer.

Finally, the peppers. The first time I got a CSA share, a few years ago, Joan gave me a bunch of random hot peppers and told me to throw them into the food processor. I could then keep the resulting pepper puree in the freezer all winter, adding a scoop of peppers to whatever needed some heat. It worked beautifully, so I did the same with these. Any ideas what they are?


That’s it! Well, almost. Keen-eyed readers will notice that we got acorn squash both weeks, and I haven’t mentioned them yet. They’re getting their own post, so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment