Friday, March 25, 2011

Vegans invade Poplar Spring!

As I’ve told you before, Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary may be my favorite place in the world. I’m so blessed to live within driving distance of such a peaceful, nurturing spot. This weekend, Red and I had the chance to visit again, as part of the first-ever Baltimore Vegan Pledge Program, organized by Open the Cages Alliance. The program, which pairs newbie vegans with mentors for a month of potlucks, social events, and discussions, is the first of its kind here, and Red and I were happy to take part. Once we learned that a Poplar Spring trip was in the offing, though, that really sealed the deal. I had planned to write about the program once it ended (this weekend is the wrap party), but I have so many animal pictures to show you!


Charlotte (top) and Lily (bottom) are Holsteins. Charlotte is Lily’s surrogate mom.

Heidi saved herself from death by twice refusing to get on the slaughter truck, then jumping through a barn window. When the Poplar Spring truck arrived to take her to her new home, she happily climbed on board.

Here’s Dexter, who took a bite out of me back in November. Isn’t he handsome? I think that’s Hal munching contentedly, though it could be newbie mule Sal.

Julio is one of the newest piglets. He’s grown so much since I saw him and his sisters in November! All three are crazy smart—watch Deb’s video of them learning to sit! Not sure who’s chillaxing back there—Timmy?

Tiny Alina is a Seabright hen, and she’s fully grown. It was very nice of her to let me cuddle her.

Lenny and his brother were rescued as newborns from a small family farm. They had been left to die because male goats are useless for cheese-making, which is how this farm made their money. I hereby call bullshit on that “We’re a happy family farm, we care only about our animals” myth.

Malcolm mugs for the camera.

I totally got to first base with a baby goat. Yeah, I said it.

More pics are here. I think I’m breaking up with Flickr because I don’t feel like paying for a pro subscription. Google practically owns my ass anyway, so I might as well go with Picasa and enjoy the extra storage space.

It was wonderful to meet Poplar Spring’s founders, Terry and Dave, and learn about how they started the sanctuary. They are truly amazing people. Even better, we got to hang out with Deb. Go read her recap from the afternoon!

I’m so thankful every time I get to visit the sanctuary and see animals the way they’re meant to be—happy and free. This time, I got to bring a tiny bit of Poplar Spring home with me in the form of a wall calendar with photos by Deb. It’s hanging next to my desk at work, so whenever I start feeling bitchy or glum, I can glance over and remember what really matters, and that everyone deserves sanctuary.

5 comments:

  1. I love the cow pictures. We used to have cows on a farm we lived on. Our neighbor has lots of animals so I get see them all the time..
    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the pictures! <3 You're so lucky to have a place like that so close, and the mentor program is a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! What beautiful animals! I love Heidi's story! Thanks for sharing --

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great day - I love all these photos. What a friendly goat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful day! And a goat named Lenny! And a baby goat who was romancing your vegan ass. Good taste!

    ReplyDelete