Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Vegan Challenge: Day 1!

Okay, so I actually thought about calling it V-Day, but that just makes me think of Eve Ensler and The Vagina Monologues. Which is awesome, but not what I was going for. Either way, today begins Red’s 21-day vegan kickstart challenge. He had his last supper yesterday, and woke up this morning bright-eyed and ready to tackle three weeks of blissful veganism.

I jest.

Actually, we both woke up feeling like death on a Triscuit. Our hot water heater busted over the weekend, I had a hellacious allergy attack, and we’re still frantic about our reception. So we did not wake up bright-eyed about much of anything. Still, we woke up, which means we came out ahead.

I’ve been posting on PCRM’s kickstart forum, and I’m surprised at the number of people who are all, “I want to go vegan for my health, not for any political or lifestyle reasons,” or “I’m not planning to be a vegan convert.” Oh, you’re not? Then why are you participating in a vegan kickstart? Why are you here if we can’t suck your brains and initiate you into our tofu-worshipping cuuuulllttt?! I snark, but I did try to gently suggest that even though health is a major reason people begin considering a vegan diet, they tend to learn about animal rights and environmental sustainability along the way. After all, the personal is political. It’s another example of what Red calls “falling down the rabbit hole,” but in a positive way. Besides, if it was merely for my health, I’d find it a lot easier to fall off the veggie wagon.

That said, I do feel for the people with unsupportive, meat-gobbling family members. Maybe I’m just a bitch, but if I wanted to try going vegan and my husband didn’t, he’d either be 1) cooking for himself, or 2) hungry. But I know how stressful it can be to live with people who don’t understand your choices, so I’m empathetic and hope that they can find a way to make it work. Red, however, finds himself baffled by the dozens of vegetarians doing the program. He figures that they’ve already done the heavy lifting, so kicking dairy and eggs should be a piece of (vegan) cake. I understand their desire for a supportive community to help them remain accountable, but they do seem to have the omnis outnumbered. Hopefully there won’t be a vegetarian-omni kickball game.


Triscuits are vegan. Nom nom nom.

3 comments:

  1. hello lady! LOVE the blog you have, here. i linked from PCRM and your hubby's page...let me tell ya', i need all the support and advice i can get! my husband is a hardcore carnivore, and although he respects my choice, he would NEVER go veg, let alone vegan. I have 2 sons, ages 3 and 5, and they are mostly vegetarian (except those damned chicken nuggets!). i've been on-again-off-again vegetarian for a couple years now but i think i'm finally ready to make the change. if we make a stir-fry for dinner, for example, the hubs makes his own chicken. i suppose this will be a change we will both have to live with...until i can convince him otherwise. haha

    i look forward to reading your blog and will gladly welcome all the advice and support i can get! thanks for listening.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Lee! Glad you're enjoying the blog. Have you tried giving your boys vegan chicken nuggets? I've had omnis swear they can't tell the difference. Let me know if you have any questions or would like me to tackle any particular issue. Good luck during the kickstart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much! and i will definitely switch out the nuggets. as much ketchup as they use, i don't think they'd notice if it were a battered sponge. haha.

    ReplyDelete