Thursday, June 3, 2010

Make way for ducklings, version 2.0.

So, the nicest thing happened as I was driving home yesterday. I was but two minutes away from our house, nodding along to Dire Straits’ “Twisting by the Pool,” when I noticed that the car in the opposite lane had stopped. It’s never exactly a busy street, and I thought I was hallucinating when I saw a peacock trailing her tail as she calmly walked across the road.

Okay, I wasn’t hallucinating, but those damn adorable baby ducks were in such a perfect formation, they looked just like their mama’s tail. You know, if she were a peacock (‘scuse me, peahen) instead of a duck.

The driver behind me stopped as well, and we all watched Mama Duck and her brood waddle safely onto the sidewalk. There’s a pond over there, which explains their perambulation. You may recall that I scolded an earlier Mama Duck for not detouring out to the ‘burbs so I could snuggle her babies. The effort put forth by this Mama Duck to make up for her shortcomings is much appreciated.

I didn’t have time to get a picture, but trust me, their cuteness was the pick-me-up I needed. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to Cute Overload for my baby animal fix.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! What a wonderful thing to see. I'm not sure I've ever seen baby ducks in person...or, errr...in duck, but I think I need to. I'm swooning just thinking about their tiny little bills and paddly feet! Oh you are SO lucky!

    ReplyDelete